Friday, December 28, 2018

Leftover chicken salad with pickles and tabasco mayo dressing


 So, what is the part with leftovers, you may ask. Well, as a student you don't really afford to throw food away, especially when is still perfect for consuming. And to be honest, you shouldn't do that anyway, even if you are a student or not. Therefore, with this recipe not only I am trying to support consumption of leftovers in order to avoid wasting food, but I am also showing that you can use them to create a super delicious dish. This idea made me think of Antoine Lavoisier's quote "nothing is lost, everything changes". 

One day me and my flatmates cooked some really tasty chicken wings glazed with some sweet chili sauce but we didn't really end up eating all of them. So the next day I was wondering what to do with what is left, considering that I wasn't really up for eating cold/reheated plain chicken, so I threw it into a bowl with veggies and a good dressing and turned it into a proper healthy and tasty meal.

Side note: The quantities for the ingredients bellow are predictive for one portion but you don't usually make a salad after a rigorous recipe, so just use your imagination and your taste to adjust the quantities and to make the dressing as sour and spicy as you want. ;)


Ingredients:

  •  half a lettuce
  • 2 medium tomatoes
  • 2 pickles 
  • leftover chicken
  • 40-50 g croutons
  • 2-3 Tsp mayonnaise
  • Tabasco
  • lemon juice
  • salt
  • pepper 



What I did for this salad is that I kept my chicken cold, I sliced my fresh tomatoes and my pickles, chopped the lettuce and added croutons that I got from the supermarket (from the same reason mentioned in my first "15 minutes project" recipe). I also added some cubes of Mozzarella cheese in this particular salad because I wanted to use all ingredients I had in the fridge at that time. (I guess that's a student habit haha)

For the dressing I mixed mayonnaise with a lot of lemon juice (because I find supermarket mayonnaise to greasy and heavy so I am making it as sour as possible), then sprinkled a little Tabasco, spicy enough to pinch my tongue. Mixed everything together, added some salt and pepper, and voila, yesterday's chicken in today's salad.



Enjoy!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment